Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Call to Action: Support the Ride to Conquer Cancer

Cancer has been a struggle in my family for at least three generations. My great-grandmother died of leukemia, my grandmother had a lump in her chest at the time she died in her 90s, and my father has been fighting non-Hodgkin's lymphoma for 6 years now. Given my family history, it is fairly clear to me that I have a genetic predisposition to cancer and will very likely have to deal with some form of cancer in my lifetime. Honestly, I don't know many people who haven't been touched by cancer some way, by either a friend or family member. One of my old friends from my San Francisco yuppy days now lives in Toronto, and is participating in a huge fundraising event called the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I copied and pasted his email below in hopes of helping him reach his fundraising goal. I have donated to this cause, and would love it if some of my readers would also support him!

...
I am writing, because I'll be participating in a 2-day major cycling event called The Ride to Conquer Cancer benefiting The Princess Margaret, one of the top 5 cancer research hospitals in the world.

I'll be cycling over 200 kilometers that weekend, from Toronto to Niagara Falls, with thousands of other Riders. All the proceeds will go to The Princess Margaret to support cancer research, treatment, and services. The Princess Margaret is Canada's leading comprehensive institution devoted to cancer research and care, and the work they're doing is leading-edge.

I've agreed to raise at least $2,500, but I've set my personal goal to $3,000. So here's where you come in, because I need your help to put me over the top. Could you please consider making a donation? Use the link at the bottom of this email to go visit my webpage, and please take the time to support me. Please keep in mind the commitment I'm making to end this heartbreaking disease and the personal efforts I'll have to make to accomplish this.

This ride certainly has a personal note. Having felt the effects of cancer from my mother’s survival of breast cancer this past year, my friend Hector’s ordeals and ultimately losing my closest friend Rick to pancreatic cancer, I want to do what I can to help. Information also shows that over 45% of men and 40% of women will develop cancer in their lifetime. That's why I'm riding. To do something BIG about cancer. I hope that you'll share this incredible adventure with me by supporting me in my fundraising efforts.

Thank you in advance for your generosity!

Click here to donate!

No comments:

Post a Comment