Friday, April 22, 2011

We joined a CSA and it is awesome

Last week was the first week of our participation with a local CSA. For anyone who doesn't know, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, you sign up with a local farm, and for a specified amount of money or hours of work at the farm you get a huge basket of fresh, seasonal, locally grown produce. It's a great way to support local family farms and get a variety of fresh foods for your family. You can read more about what a CSA is here.

Last Saturday the JMan drove an hour to the farm and spent 4 hours pulling weeds from a garlic field (no chemical herbicides!) and he brought back a humongous bag full of veggies. In this bag we got:

spinach (large bag)
mixed salad greens (large bag)
kale (1 bunch)
beets (tons)
beet greens (OMG so much!)
broccoli (small bag of florets plus a head complete with the large leaves)
carrots (1 bunch)
radishes (1 bunch)

In other words - more leafy greens than 2 adults and a toddler can possibly eat in a week! We've been eating salad plus sautéed or otherwise cooked veggies every day this week, which is just what my pregnant self needs to stay healthy and grow a baby. So, Yay for green leafy veggies! Added bonus, I've never had beet greens and the large leaves that grow around a head of broccoli before, so my horizons are getting expanded in the process too.

Last night when I got home from work, JMan and SchmoopyBoy had just left to meet my mother-in-law and nephews at the local park. I made a quick stir fry from beet greens, broccoli leaves, broccoli florets, and added some non-csa white beans and tomatoes. I packed it into a container, added a container of non-csa watermelon and a box of crackers, and met them at the park for a lovely picnic.

I'm very excited about the CSA and can't wait to see what else we'll be getting in our bags! So far, I think it's pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I am a new follower and have chosen you for The Versatile Blogger Award. If you are interested in participating just visit my blog at my latest post to see what it is about. www.lifelossandotherthings.com

    ReplyDelete