Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Pumpkin Potato Crockpot Recipe



This didn't turn out exactly the way I had hoped, but it was a reasonably decent experiment so I thought I would share. At the pumpkin patch last week I bought a couple small pumpkins. I had never cooked fresh pumpkin before so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've also been meaning to use my crockpot more often so I went on an online search for the perfect pumpkin crockpot recipe, which I sadly didn't find. So I kind of merged a couple different recipes and added a twist or two. The result was hearty, filling, and very comforting for a cold day. I don't think I got the spice combination quite right, as the flavor was a little boring to me. Then again, I also tend to prefer lots of garlic or curry or other fairly intense spices. Many people I know don't care for that kind of intense flavor so maybe you'll like it as I made it this time.

Ingredients:
1 small pumpkin
1 sweet potato
1 red potato (probably any kind of potato will do, I just happen to have red potatoes at the moment)
1 yellow onion
1 can kidney beans
2 cups water
1 salt-free vegetable bouillon cube + 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp mixed italian seasonings (I used basil, oregano, thyme, and marjoram)

Directions:
1. Chop -
Chop the pumpkin and potato into cubes. Peel and chop the sweet potato.
Chop the onion and garlic.
2. Toss -
Put all the ingredients into the crockpot and stir.
3. Cook -
Set the crockpot to cook on low for 8 hours. Stir once more.
4. NOM

I think next time I might try to make it more like a pumpkin chili. I think a little kick would work well with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment