Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Blog Identity Crisis

I should start out by saying that I am a blog junkie. I love reading blogs, I love discovering new blogs, I love finding out what's going on in the lives of people I know and seeing pictures of their little kiddos on their personal blogs. I love discovering new recipes on food blogs. I love finding out about different learning and discipline philosophies on parenting blogs, and getting cloth diapering tips on environmental blogs. You get the picture.

When I started this blog I wasn't 100% sure what I'd be writing about. I was thinking it would be a combination of personal blog to keep my out of town family and friends updated with SchmoopyBaby's latest accomplishments, and a food blog with recipes and pics of what we are eating at chez Schmoopy. The reason for this was simply because those were the types of blogs I was reading at the time I created it.

But for the last month or so I've been going to some blogs that really make me think. People are writing about really meaningful, informative, and important topics. This led me to question what I am doing with this blog. Sometimes I feel like I write about such trivial fluff, which, of course, I do sometimes just because it's fun.

But then I think: Who is actually reading this blog? What does my audience actually want to read about? Who do I want to read this blog? Who is this blog really for? Is it for my immediate family? Is it for other moms - maybe vegetarian, maybe not, maybe WOHM, maybe not? Is it really for me, so I can feel connected to some invisible others when I feel alone in the world, and have someplace to vent other than my husband?

I tend to think that my regular readers are more interested in SchmoopyBaby updates than my opinions on gender-neutral parenting or the role of spirituality in politics. But these are important topics - topics that deserve to be thought about and written about and read about by anyone and everyone. Thus the blog identity crisis.

I'm thinking that I want to expand my range a bit. One of my goals for this year is to start writing about topics that make me think critically and intelligently. My brain needs the exercise, and since virtually all of my other hobbies have gone to the wayside, I need something other than work and the actual day-to-day care of SchmoopyBaby to keep me sane. I recently discovered a Blog Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Lauren of Hobo Mama and Dionna of Code Name: Mama that I might try to participate in. (Although I have a bit of damage with the label "Natural Parenting." What is the opposite, unnatural parenting? And what exactly is unnatural parenting, me nursing a litter of lion cubs? But I digress - that is a topic for another post.)

Don't worry Mom, I'll still post SchmoopyBaby updates and pictures, and I'll still attempt to entertain and amuse with trivial fluff, because I know you are stressed and tired and just want an easy smile. Also, because sometimes it's just fun to be able to laugh at myself and life's silly trivialities from time to time.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment