Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When I grow up I want to be Nora Ephron’s mother

Heard today on NPR’s Morning Edition, an interview with Nora Ephron:
“…my mother sa[id], 'Everything is copy; everything is material; someday you will think this is funny.' My parents never said, 'Oh you poor thing.' It was work through it, get to the other side, turn it into something.”

Furthermore,
"My mother [taught] me a very fundamental lesson of humor, which is that if you slip on a banana peel, people laugh at you, but if you tell people you slipped on a banana peel, it's your joke. And you're the hero of the joke because you're telling the story."


This is advice I am going to keep in my hip pocket. I have the feeling I might need it with SchmoopyBoy one day.

You can read or listen to entire interview from this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment